What It Takes To Be a Siren
- For your first year, be invited to join by the Senate and attend an orientation.
- Attend at least 2 of the ~6 workdays prior to the burn, at least one load or unload day, and the post playa clean up day.
- Arrive by sundown of the Wednesday before Labor Day and stay through the weekend for camp breakdown.
- While at Burning Man, work two camp shifts.
- Participate in the camp’s gifts to the community during Burning Man, including things like working the booths with us and encouraging visitors to join us.
- Pay dues. All dues must be in by 8/15.
Some Benefits of Camping with the Sirens
- An organized, experienced community without drama- We work efficiently hard to play harder
- Fantastic location – 7:30 and A, just off the Esplanade
- Shaded community space – large, shaded camp lounge area, complete with rugs, couches, armchairs, and chandeliers
- Drinking water
- Camp shower
- Complete kitchen with stoves, sinks, pots and pans
- Fun features like a bar, pirate ship, 30′ geodesic dome with hammocks/pillows, trampoline, and advice booth – see Activities for more info
- Bike repair station
- A well thought out grey water disposal plan
- Trash disposal with camp MOOP plan
- Bragging rights as a Siren 🙂
We believe in contribution. Member dues are a contribution to the interactivity and gifts the camp brings to the playa. The games, the bar, chill space, fuel…everything that we provide to make the playa home to everyone.
What Camp Membership Does Not Provide
- A ticket to Burning Man
- Transportation to and from the Burn
- Shelter or bedding
- Food, refrigeration, or eating utensils
- A private portapotty
How Folks Become Sirens
Members are usually sponsored by Sirens. If you know a Siren, ask them to sponsor you! Sometimes, however, we take on new folks who aren’t sponsored. If you don’t know a Siren, but are interested in camping with us, click here.
How To Sponsor New Sirens
If you are a current Siren member and would like to sponsor a friend, click here. The sooner we meet sponsees, the sooner we can give them a proper pirate initiation and get to know them. We consider sponsor applications until 8/15 of each year. Many potential sirens attend social nights or work days as a way to see if our camp is the right home for them and visa versa. We are all here to have a great amazing burn, and for each camper brings to the cove their participatory style! Note, all new members must arrive on playa by sundown of the Wednesday before Labor Day.
Most Sirens contribute by attending work days, but for prospective Sirens that live far away we realize that could be a challenge. To that end folks can petition the Pirate Senate for exceptions. Your request should include why you are an amazing person that we would want to camp with, and a specific project and/or contribution, in place of the work days, that will make Burning Man and 7 Siren’s Cove a more wonderful place. This “in lieu contribution” should be above and beyond helping out during the Burn. Example: A civil engineer from Boston proposed and designed a several story high crows nest. It was awesome. He got in. To petition the Senate for a Exception, click here.
Is your life too busy or far away to make workdays, but you’re still super rad? Petition the Senate for “Pretty Princess” dues. A select few are granted Pretty Princess rights and pay higher dues as part of their pre-playa contribution. Once on playa you will have the same responsibilities as every other member. To petition the Senate to be a Pretty Princess, click here.
We are a child friendly camp. For this reason there is no smoking in camp common areas (including vaping); nudity, however, is welcome. Considering camping with a child? To join the Sirens you must have been on playa without your child at least once. All guardians must be either present or in agreement with the child’s attending Burning Man.